Are Wordpress Tags Actually Useful for SEO? My Competition is Successfully Using Them

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by FestGuru, Aug 28, 2016.

Tags:
?

Are Wordpress tags are an area most SEO experts overlook?

1. Kill him, he knows the secret.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way, I built this awesome silo and tags break it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. There maybe some value, but other tactics are a better ROI

100.0%
  1. FestGuru

FestGuru New Member

Evil Company X has been ranking at #1 for most of the terms in my niche. If you look at their site, it's 25 posts with most under 500 words. While they have more backlinks, their quality is debatable, since most are obviously from cheap link blasts. I've found a PBN of 5 sites that link back to their homepage. Essentially, it's a textbook example of a micro-niche site. I've analyzed, poked, prodded, crawled, and even asked some dude on the street, but I hadn't been able to figure out what they were doing to rank with such thin content and weak links. Their tag pages are #1 across most of the niche's keywords.

It was driving me nuts trying to see what they were doing to rank.

Then I started digging into one of their articles, and I noticed something. Google has 2500 pages indexed for them. Remember how I said that their site only had 25 posts? In looking at the code for one of the posts, I found what I think they are doing. Every post has a minimum of 50 tags attached to it. Each tag is a keyword from the niche. Inside the HTML, the tag is used as an meta tag for the article like this: <meta property="article:tag" content=. It's also added as a class to the <div id="content_box"> tag. Most times it's not used anywhere else inside an article. For money pages, they use 500-700 tags per post. The domain.com/tag/tagword page is the tagword for the H1 and title tags, and then the excerpt is going to the post that's been tagged. Contrary to the common SEO beliefs, the tag pages are not NOINDEX and/or NOFOLLOWED.

By doing this, most of their posts have 2000 internal pages linking with the top 10 or so having 5000 internal links. I don't see any way for a user to get to a tag page unless it's from Google or other SERP.

I'm going to try testing this on a small scale, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of doing this: excessive tagging in Wordpress. I would think that they would get penalized for duplicate content since there're so many pages which are identical except for the title. My searching has found most sites say to NOINDEX tag pages.

PS: Judging from some of the junk words included, the tags appear to have been a straight copy/paste from the Keyword planner.

2. Tim01

Tim01 Pro Affiliate

I have always thought that tags are a waste of time and they only have some minimal use for users and none for seo.

3. Bottle Rockets

Bottle Rockets Frank Admin

I've never had experience with using a bunch of a tag but would be good to test it. I never really though tags matter but you never know with SEO I've seen some weird stuff lately haha.

4. princemolak

princemolak New Member

Hello, Have you tried it? Any update

5. Max Black

Max Black New Member

What I'm about to suggest might sound extremely dumb, but is it possible that the duplicate content penalty only applies to elements inside the body tags?
    If that's that case, would it be possible to avoid it by keyword stuffing in the meta tags as FestGuru seems to describe?
    It certainly sounds like something worth investigating, imho.

Tim01 and princemolak like this.
  6. Tim01

Tim01 Pro Affiliate

You should try in on one of those SERP Shaker sites with massive number of automatically created pages using a plugin. You could be on to something.

7. princemolak

princemolak New Member

Can you pls recommend any plugin that can be used for such? I would like to try it out myself

8. Tim01

Tim01 Pro Affiliate

I already told you = SERP Shaker

It is a Wordpress plugin to make such sites. I think it costs money but I believe that Source Wave made a free plugin which is similar.

9. princemolak

princemolak New Member

Oh!! Serp Shaker!! Thanks

10. Goodkarma77

Goodkarma77 Hustler

Damn, it's getting pretty black-hat in this thread :eek:. Personally, like most I believe meta keywords don't do anything for your Google rankings. Other search engines? That's debatable I guess. The keyword tags definitely use to play at least a small role in rankings, but Google realized it was a flaw because people would stuff a bunch of keywords that weren't even relevant to their webpage. I assume that's an older site that your talking about?

In other note, the inter-linking you're talking about is very powerful for rankings IMO. Hatred made a basic Silo style website guide, so guide if you haven't see it yet it may be worth checking out. There's definitely some very effective ways to structure your site so that google favors it. I personally think that there's quite a few effective on-page tactics flying under the radar atm.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Tim01 likes this.
  11. FestGuru

FestGuru New Member

Sorry, I've been testing it out and haven't received a negative affect from it. No duplicate content penalties in webmaster tools, either. I've only used about 100 terms, and only to 3 different pages. I don't have time right this second, but I'll try to create a quick blurb on how well it has/hasn't worked.

princemolak likes this.
  12. bellynyen

bellynyen New Member

We offer service that’s for rent Facebook & Google premium ads accounts. If you need accounts fors running cloaking campaign, fast approval and just spend a huge daily budget, contact me on skype: Michael Phan